Who We Serve
The Branch of Geotechnical Data Services (GDS) provides support for the Division of Energy and Mineral Development’s (DEMD) work on Tribal grant and technical assistance projects. To assist Tribes and individual Indian landowners with energy and economic development goals, GDS works closely with each of the DEMD Branches to research and develop geographic information systems (GIS) datasets and cartographic (map) products that show energy demand, existing infrastructure, and energy generation potential.
Services and Resources for Tribes
For Industry Partners
The links below provide information and guidance to oil and gas industry partners on working with Tribes and collaborating on projects in Indian Country.
About the Branch of Geotechnical Data Services
The Branch of Geotechnical Data Services (GDS) team provides valuable geotechnical data support to Tribes, federal agencies and DEMD branch offices.
- Storing and securely protecting existing Tribal data
- Exploration of Indian Mineral Development Act (IMDA) agreements
- Acquiring new data to expedite energy and economic development
- Performing certain types of technical interpretation of data and providing this information to Tribes or making it easily accessible
- Technical map creation for displaying existing and potential opportunities for development of energy and economic resources
- Supporting DEMD branches: Fluid Minerals, Solid Minerals, Renewable and Distributed Generation, and NIOGEMS.
Types of Data Available:
- Seismic (2-D and 3-D surveys)
- Well (IHS)
- Basin Modeling
- Administrative boundaries
- Lease and tract ownership
- Natural resources
- Local and national infrastructure
- Aerial and satellite imagery
- Oil and gas production
- Digital well logs
- Contour Maps
- Decline curves
- Economic analysis
- Revenue projections
Daniel Kaim, Branch Chief (Acting) / Petroleum Engineer
- Ryan Montanez, Geographer (GIS), Team Lead
- Sarah Brewer, GIS Specialist
- Harrison Hannon, GIS Specialist