The Division of Energy and Mineral Development (DEMD) provides technical assistance and consulting to eligible American Indians and Alaska Natives at no cost. Groups and individuals eligible for DEMD technical assistance include:
- Federally-recognized American Indian Tribes
- Alaska Native Villages
- Tribal Energy Development Organizations
- Alaska Native Corporations
- Individual Indian trust land or restricted land owners
How We Can Help
Energy and mineral projects can be complex, and there are no one-size-fits-all solutions. Whether you’re in the initial stages of planning or need expert advice to bring your project to fruition, DEMD’s staff of engineers, analysts, geologists and business development professionals can help. Some of the services we regularly provide to Tribes are:
- Assessing energy and mineral resources on your land.
- Project planning and development, including feasibility research.
- Technical advice and problem solving.
- Securing contracts, permits and financing.
- Business development.
Submit a Technical Assistance Request
To submit a technical assistance request, review information about the DEMD branches below and choose the branch that is best able to help with your request. You may request technical assistance through any of these methods:
- By Email: Download and fill out the Request Technical Assistance form and email the branch that best meets your needs below.
- By Phone: Call the main DEMD offices in Lakewood, CO at (303) 969-5270 and we can connect you to the proper branch. The Request Technical Assistance form can help you collect the information DEMD will need to assist.
Contact the Branch of Solid Minerals to plan projects involving:
- Mineral aggregates, such as sand, gravel, and crushed stone.
- Industrial minerals, such as limestone, bentonite and gypsum.
- Base metals, such as copper, zinc, nickel, tin and lead.
- Precious metals, such as gold, silver and platinum.
- Critical minerals, such as lithium, magnesium and rare earth elemental minerals.
- Energy minerals, such as coal and uranium.
- Compressed earth blocks (aka hi-performance adobe).
Contact the Branch of Fluid Minerals to plan projects involving:
- Natural gas.
- Exploration of geothermal resources.
- Any other subsurface fluid mineral.
Contact the Branch of Business Services for assistance with:
- Starting a business entity.
- Leasing and negotiation.
- Project planning and management.
- Finding and applying for grants.
- Research and due diligence.