You can be a part of Indian Affairs’ mission of service to Indian Country by joining our ranks and pursuing a long and exciting career in a wide variety of specializations that meet the needs of those we serve. With over 180 duty stations in 25 states throughout Indian Country, employees can work in exciting fields including:
- Administration and Operations (budgeting, finance, contracting, management, purchasing)
- Agriculture and Range Management
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Congressional/Legislative Affairs
- Economic and Energy Development
- Employment Training
- Environmental and Cultural Resources Management
- Federal Acknowledgement
- Forestry and Wildland Fire Management
- Law Enforcement and Justice
- Natural Resources Management
- Self-Determination and Self-Governance
- Social Services (including Indian child welfare)
- Transportation & Water Infrastructure (roads, bridges dams)
- Tribal Enrollment and Tribal Relations services
The federal government offers a wide variety of competitive benefits for employees and their families. These include:
- Retirement -Information about retirement benefits and making changes in annuity payments for current and former employees of the Federal Government.
- Health Insurance - Information about the world's largest employer-sponsored group health insurance program (for Federal employees, retirees, former employees, family members, and former spouses).
- Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance Program (FEGLI) -Information about the world's largest group life insurance program (for Federal employees, retirees, and family members).
- Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP) - Information about long-term insurance for current and retired Federal Government employees and their families.
- Flexible Spending Accounts - Information about the Federal Flexible Spending Accounts Program (FSAFEDS), including flexible spending accounts (FSAs) for employees who work for an executive branch agency or an agency that has adopted the Federal Flexible Benefits Plan ("FedFlex").
- Work/Life Enrichments - Information about work/life programs and policies designed to create more flexible, responsive work environments supportive of commitments to community, home, and loved ones.
- Survivor Benefits - Information about survivor life Insurance benefits for Federal employees, annuitants or compensationers enrolled in the Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) Program.
Learn more about work and hiring arrangements, pay and leave and other employee information at the Office of Personnel Management.Insurance
- Choice of group health insurance plans with the majority of premiums paid by the Federal Government; insurance may become effective as soon as the first full pay period after beginning duty.
- Term-life insurance with coverage based on salary and with the cost shared by the Federal Government; family and additional coverage options available.
Employees are covered by the Federal Employees’ Retirement System (FERS), a three-tier retirement plan comprised of Social Security benefits, FERS basic benefits, and the Thrift Saving Plan (TSP). TSP is a tax-deferred savings plan with an automatic base contribution and partial matching of employee contributions by the Federal Government.Training Opportunities
There are many careers that require specialized training. Some, but certainly not all, training programs are listed.