The Office of Indian Economic Development's Tribal Tourism Grant Program (TTGP) aims to support tribal economic development and fulfill the mission of the NATIVE Act by providing funding for tribes to conduct feasibility studies to help them make informed decisions about potential tourism projects.  

TTPG also provides funding for tribes to develop business plans for already completed tourism feasibility studies. In addition to feasibility studies, TTPG may fund business plans for tribal tourism businesses that are recovering from the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.


Congratulations to the 2022 Tribal Tourism Grant Awardees:

Tribal Tourism AwardeeProjectAward Amt.Description
Haida CorporationHydaburg Tourism Feasibility Study$150,000The Hydaburg Tourism Feasibility Study will provide a roadmap for Haida Corporation to follow toward its goal of mindfully developing tourism in a way that both celebrates and preserves Haida heritage and culture while providing valuable job opportunities and a sustainable source of income for future generations.
Hualapai Tribal CouncilDeveloping a Tribal Tourism Plan for the Hualapai Reservation$150,000The Tribe will develop a comprehensive 10-year tourism plan, as the Tribe has been reliant upon tourism for economic development, starting with the historic Route 66 to the opening of the Grand Canyon Skywalk.  The plan will identify infrastructure upgrades needed for the planned development, cost estimates, a marketing analysis for the types of businesses that can sustainably generated revenue and create jobs for the tribe, plans for the historic preservation, and identify opportunities for entrepreneurs who can start businesses of their own.  The Tribe wants their downtown to be a vibrant economic resource that welcomes tourists.
Muscogee Creek NationMCN Tribal Tourism Feasibility and Business Development Plan Project$149,423Muscogee Creek Nation will utilize the funding to perform a tourism project/market assessment and feasibility study and develop a tourism five-year business plan to connect the historical past of the Nation to a contemporary presence. This project will be used to meet the critical needs of the community and presents an opportunity for MCN to continue to address the sustainability of our community through the tourism industry.
Village of KaktovikPolar Bear Tourism Feasibility Study$149,270Funding through the Tribal Tourism Grant Program will allow the Native Village of Kaktovik to conduct a feasibility study, the first step towards revitalizing a vibrant and robust tourism program in Kaktovik and allow them to showcase our Arctic environment and Inupiat heritage to people from all over the globe.

Mesa Grande

Business Development Corporation

A Business Plan for Mesa Grande’s Agritourism Business$149,212The Mesa Grande Business Development Corporation (BDC), the economic development arm of the Mesa Grande Band of Mission Indians will be producing a comprehensive business plan for the operation and marketing of the tribe’s Golden Eagle Farm as an agritourism destination.  The development of the Golden Eagle Farm as an agritourism destination is sustainable for long-term economic benefit.
Penobscot Indian NationPenobscot Indian Nation Tourism Development Initiative$149,010The Penobscot Nation is advancing the Penobscot Indian Nation Tourism Development Initiative that strengthens and expands the Tribe’s Tourism sector through investment in product development, cultural training, tourism infrastructure, and market development.
Blackfeet Tribe of the Blackfeet Indian Reservation of MontanaBlackfeet Tourism  Business Plan$125,388According the 2020 Tourism Feasibility Assessment produced by Virginia Tech Howard Feiertag Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management there is a high rate in data that indicates avid to potential visitors are interested in visiting a heritage center, to purchase native crafts, eat and dine at native cuisine spots, experience special native culture festival events, demonstrate live cultural performances (cooking, arts, etc.), hear oral traditional stories, immerse in experience of powwows, rodeo, and Indian horse relays, and participate in guided experiences.  The Blackfeet Heritage Visitor Center would serve as a tourism hub for visitors to find their travel interests in a one-stop place.
Choctaw Nation of OklahomaChoctaw Country Destination Management Plan$125,000The Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma overlays 13 Oklahoma counties. Currently, there is no strategy-based business plan in place for tourism across the reservation.  The grant will allow for a contracted plan that will identify key stakeholders for the future, inventory CNO’s existing tourism sites, plan for events and attractions, as well as establish a vision for the future of the Native American-based tourism industry in southeastern Oklahoma.
Spirit Lake Tribe2022 Spirit Lake Tribal Tourism Feasibility Study Project$125,000The Spirit Lake Tribe’s Spirit Lake Tribal Tourism Feasibility Study will conduct a feasibility study into the Spirit Lake Tribe’s Tourism assets, which will deliver a tribal tourism business plan.  In particular, the Tribe aims to determine the baseline economic feasibility of building out the tourism assets prioritized in the 2022 Spirit Lake Casino & Resort Master Plan. Spirit Lake Tribe’s prosperity directly depends upon creating a vibrant local economy, which will provide income to our Tribe and quality job opportunities for our tribal members.
Bay Mills Indian CommunityBMIC Feasibility Study to Assess Tourism$125,000The Bay Mills Indian Community will perform a Feasibility Study to assess tourism diversification opportunities within our area.  This study will look at the developmental opportunities, followed by technical analysis to assess the project’s overall feasibility.  Should any opportunities be deemed feasible through the project, the final report may contain a roadmap from the execution and assist in positioning BMIC to pursue further funding for the business plan development and implementation.
The Chickasaw NationThe Chickasaw Nation’s Exhibit C Gallery Project$124,122The Department of Tourism within the Chickasaw Nation Department of Commerce, an executive branch of the Chickasaw Nation, operates Exhibit C Gallery in Bricktown District of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.  Exhibit C will be relocating to a new tourism development site and requires a strong business plan to outline operational and strategic success. With the Tribal Tourism Grant Program, the Chickasaw Nation will develop a business plan to ensure local, regional and international tourism success for the gallery and the over 50 represented First American artists.
Alabama-Coushatta Tribe of TexasAlabama-Coushatta Tribe of Texas Travel and Tourism Planning$120,291The Alabama-Coushatta Tribe of Texas proposes The Planning and Prioritization of Tourism for the Alabama-Coushatta Tribe of Texas project as a tourism assessment, feasibility and planning project to focus and prioritize development of the Tribal tourism assets owned by, operated by, or affiliated with the Tribe and its members for the distinct purpose of enhancing the overall economic resilience of the Tribal community in Polk County, Texas.  The project will focus the Tribe’s efforts to become a tourism destination and sustain the culture and heritage of the people of the Alabama-Coushatta Tribe of Texas.
Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, Inc.IPCC Cultural Tourism Feasibility Study to Serve Pueblos and Larger State of New Mexico Economy$113,251The research and analysis will empower the IPCC with actionable data and analysis to make data informed decisions on potential tourism-oriented projects and businesses currently under consideration. 
Crow Tribe of MontanaApsaalooke Tourism Action Project$112,771The grant award will fund the establishment and development of the Apsaalooke Tourism Action Project (ATAP), which proposes the completion of three (3) Business Plans and two (2) Feasibility Studies for five (5) specific initiatives located on the Crow Reservation.  The initiatives aim to create a sustainable, successful, and increased flow of tourism to the Reservation, and have been identified as strongly supported and highest priority by both the Tribal government and community members. The ultimate outcomes of this project will bring significant success and sustainability to tourism initiatives for the Crow Tribe, which in turn will holistically strengthen a community bursting with cultural and historical tradition, preserving and sharing that culture for generations to come.
Wabanaki Public Health and WellnessWabanaki Ways Feasibility Study$105,000The Wabanaki will be conducting a feasibility study for the Wabanaki Way, an inter-connected Indigenous tourism experience rooted in Wabanaki hospitality and culture. WPHW’s mission is provide community driven, culturally centered public health and social services to all Wabanaki communities and people honoring Wabanaki cultural knowledge, cultivating innovation and fostering collaboration.  The feasibility study will develop the goal of building sustainable Indigenous based tourism that will support healing and recovery efforts for generations to come. Wabanaki Way is the concept of providing a tourism experience based in Wabanaki hospitality and culture.  It will demonstrate the healing power of traditional and modern Indigenous practices of land stewardship and sustainability, as well as provide spaces for those wishing to engage in healing and wellness. 
Leech Lake Reservation Business Community, Inc.The Creation of a Tourism Development Plan for the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe$104,515The Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe Tourism Feasibility Study will identify the viability of investing in a tourism program for the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe to economically benefit the LLBO by investigating potential opportunities for creating a Tribe led tourism program to work in coordination with ongoing master planning efforts for revitalization in the city of Cass Lake and other potential historical and cultural sites and visitor destinations in the area. The study will lay the groundwork for future strategic plans to develop competitive tourist attractions and encourage domestic and international visitors to invest in an eco-friendly and sustainable program that engages people of all ages.
Burns Paiute TribeFoley Field Destination Resort Feasibility Study and Business Plan$102,300The Tourism-focused project will explore the potential for a destination resort facility for the almost 100,000 visitors that our home area of Harney County already receives each year.  The proposed Tribal Tourism Grant study will enable the tribe to assess the viability of the resort to determine the appropriate scale of such a destination, to identify which amenities the resort should offer and to develop a financial and operating plan that can be executed to bring the resort concept to fruition.
Oneida Indian NationOneida Indian Nation Tribal Tourism Feasibility Study$101,762The proposed Oneida National Tribal Tourism Feasibility Study will explore the possibility of adding motocross track facilities to Nation lands in Central New York to attract visitors and diversify revenue sources.  The proposed track facilities will benefit the Nation by providing a new non-gaming revenue source and drawing visitors to Nation lands.
Prairie Band Potawatomi NationPrairie Band Potawatomi Nation Shabbona Reservation Analysis,$82,764The Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation will complete a feasibility study for the development on the Shabbona Reservation consisting of a Cultural Center, lodging, dining and retail and additional development options that can bring economic benefit to PBPN. This analysis will help the Nation understand the competitive landscape for development, evaluate demand and revenue potential, and make informed decisions on how to proceed with the Nation’s land on the Shabbona Reservation. 
Northern Arapaho TribeCasino Amenity Market Assessment Feasibility Study$78,701The Northern Arapaho Tribe of Wyoming will conduct a Tribal Tourism Feasibility study to determine the optimal development location for a Casino Resort Development.  The feasibility study will help facilitate informed decision-making regarding the Tribe’s economic futures and may concern the viability of a tourism project, empowering the Tribe to make informed decisions on the potential of the Tribal tourism business.
Rosebud Sioux TribeRosebud Sioux Tribe Cultural Heritage Feasibility Study$75,190The Rosebud Sioux Tribe (RST) Sicangu Resource Development Office is conducting a comprehensive Feasibility Study Project on Cultural Heritage Tourism.  This is a targeted effort to assist the Tribal Government in facilitating informed decision-making regarding the tribe’s economic future
Coushatta Tribe of LouisianaSouth Toledo Bend Park Feasibility Study$72,672South Toledo Bend State Park lies within the Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana’s ancestral territory with cultural ties to the area dating back centuries.  The Coushatta Tribe is one of the largest private employers in the state of Louisiana through its various economic ventures, chief among these is Coushatta Casino Resorts.  With its proven track record of development and its need for revenue diversification, the Coushatta Tribe is interested in negotiating ownership of the South Toledo Bend State Park, along with the development of the site to make it a tourist destination.
Nansemond Indian NationMattanock Town Ecotourism Center Feasibility Study and Business Plan$71,720The Mattanock Town Ecotourism Center Feasibility Study and Business Plan Tribal Tourism Grant Program study will enable the Tribe to identify a list of possible ecotourism activities, to select those opportunities which are economically viable and consistent with tribal values and goals, and to develop a financial and operating plan to launch these activities at Mattanock Town.
Lac Courte Oreilles Band of Lake Superior Chippewa IndiansLac Courte Oreilles B&K Intersection/Tribal Plaza Tourism Project$63,000The feasibility study and business plan will allow the tribe to increase the tribe’s presence in the economy of the local area to access a greater portion of the annual $95.9 million of direct visitor spending and enhance the economic development of the tribe.
Enterprise Rancheria of Maidu Indians of CaliforniaThe Enterprise Rancheria Sports & Entertainment Tourism Development Project$55,066The Enterprise Rancheria Maidu Tribe of California, also known as the Enterprise Rancheria Yumeska Maidu has trust land in Yuba Country where it operates its casino and hotel. It is in a unique zoning designation known as the “the Yuba County Sports and Entertainment Zone.” The Tribe will be conducting a feasibility study for exploring creating a desirable tourism designation for tourism economic development, tribal employment and advancement and provide cultural education to tourist visitors.
Sitka Tribe of AlaskaA Xandei Yaan too At:  Moving Sitka Tribal Tours into the Future Business Planning Project$54,708STA hopes to utilize the business plan and the recommendations to transition the business model of Tribal Tours in to a more self-sustaining, revenue generating social enterprise as it solves key challenges around increasing profits and decreasing expenses.  STA also hopes to create a viable market for “off-season” travel, and as always, to build a viable tourism business that will sustain, enhance, preserve, and perpetuate the Tlingit heritage & culture through innovative, enterprising concepts.
Nez Perce TribeDevelopment of the Nez Perce Tribal Tourism Business Plan$49,408The TTGP funding will enable the Nez Perce Tribe to conduct a comprehensive Tribal Tourism Business Plan over the next year to help guide sound planning and decision-making for the Tribe’s community and economic development.  The Nez Perce Tribe is recognized nationally and there are significant opportunities for tourism development, branding, and business development. The resulting increase in Tribal tourism on the reservation will help create jobs and build thriving communities across this rural region.
Elk Valley Rancheria, CaliforniaElk Valley Rancheria RV Park Feasibility Study Project$48,600The Elk Valley Rancheria will complete an economic Feasibility Study for development of an RV Park on reservation trust land.  The Tribe’s reservation is located adjacent to the Redwoods National and State Park which receives over a million visitors each year, the Tribe is hoping to develop tourism-based services on adjacent reservation lands that will cater to these visitors, thereby bringing much needed revenue to the Tribal economy. The overall goal of this project is to pursue a highly attractive tourism-based economic development project that will serve to provide increased employment opportunities for Tribal members, improve the socioeconomic status of the Tribe, increase funding for a variety of social, governmental, administrative, educational, health and welfare services, provide revenue to restore the lost land base, to provide capital for other economic development opportunities and to provide for economic self-sufficiency.
Chippewa Cree Indians of the Rocky Boy’s Reservation, MontanaThe Chippewa Cree Tribal Tourism Feasibility Study Project (CCTTFSP)$45,755

The tribe is currently working to rebuild and redefine what tourism looks like on the Reservation.  The study will allow the Tribe to reassess and identify tourism opportunities with the most potential and economic impact, especially since the COVID-19 pandemic has significantly affected the Tribe’s tourism capacity and capabilities.


Native Village of ChenegaChenega Heritage Tourism Business Plan$30,916This plan will analyze the independent traveler market with a “do it yourself” focus, as opposed to a full-service lodge, through the use of traditional Sugpiaq (Sugs’tun) themed dry cabins and well-established tent platforms.  These sites will have other boosted amenities, such as weather coverage, bear deterrents and storage, trash containers, fire pits with provided wood, and outhouses.  From the established locations, visitors are free to explore Prince William Sound and learn from interpretive signage and displays learning history, science, culture, the traditional language Sugpiaq (Sugs’tun) spoken by the Alutiiq people.  Charter boats, kayak rentals and guide options will be provided as customers tailor their adventure needs.  The study will also include a transportation service aspect, providing rides to and from various locations.

What Would You Like to Do?

What You Need to Know


  • Assistant Secretary Newland Announces Tribal Tourism Gra…

    Press Release

    Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs Bryan Newland announced today that the Indian Affairs Office of Indian…

  • Indian Affairs Announces FY 2021 Tribal Tourism Grants A…

    Press Release

    Applications can include how Tribal tourism businesses recover and adapt to challenges from the COVID-19 pandemic…

Additional Information

Additional Resources

Contact Us

Indian Economic Development
1849 C Street, N.W., Room 4152
Washington, DC 20240