The effective date of the final rule is extended until April 21, 2016. The compliance date for submission of documentation of past assignments is extended until August 16, 2016.
- Comparison Chart - comparing Current Rule to New Rule (pdf)
- Final Rule; Extension of Effective Date and Compliance Date (extension until April 21, 2016)
- Final Rule; Extension of Effective Date and Compliance Date (extension until March 21, 2016)
- Final Rights-of-Way (ROW) Rule (pdf)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on the Final ROW Rule (pdf) - Updated March 2016
- Presentation: Training for Grantees, Potential Grantees, and Owners of Indian Land on the New ROW Rule, February 2016
- To view the 2/29/16 webinar on ROW, please go to the Office of Trust Services' Division of Real Estate Services website (and click the link to the webinar located there)
- Guidance: What Are Procedural Provisions of the Final Rule?
- Draft Template: Application
- Draft Template: Survey Consent Letter
- Draft Template: Consent for Right-of-Way
- Draft Template: Consent for Renewals, Amendments, Assignments, Mortgages
- Draft Template: Assignment of Right-of-Way
- Draft Template: Complete Package Letter
- Draft Template: Incomplete Package Letter
- Draft Template: Extension of Time Letter
- Draft Template: Checklist for BIA
- Draft Template: Grant of Right-of-Way
- Draft Template: Approval Letter
Proposed Rule and Explanatory Information
The proposed rule would update 25 CFR 169, Rights-of-Way on Indian Land, to streamline the process for obtaining Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) approval, ensure consistency with recently updated leasing regulations, increase the flexibility in compensation and valuations, and support landowner decisions regarding the use of their land.
The deadline for providing comments on the Proposed Rule has again been extended, this time from November 3, 2014 to November 28, 2014. Guidance on how to submit comments can be found in the Federal Register notice announcing the rule, below.
- To view the Federal Register notice that extends the comment period on Rights-of-Way on Indian Lands until Nov. 28th, please click here: Extension of Comment Period: ROW (Nov. 4, 2014)
- To view the Proposed Rule on Rights-of-Way on Indian Lands (25 CFR 169), please click here: Proposed Rule: ROW (June 2, 2014)
- The Proposed Rule was also published in the Federal Register on June 17, 2014: Federal Register publication of Proposed Rule on ROW
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on the Proposed Rule (pdf)
- Presentation on the Proposed Rule (pdf)
Transcripts will be published to this website as soon as possible.