You may need to obtain a lease from an American Indians and Alaska Native Tribe and the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) for development projects on lands held in trust or restricted status by the federal government for Native people.

General BIA regulations for leases are in 25 CFR 162, but specific policies for wind and solar leases are in:

There may also be more regulations that pertain to specific Tribes and resources.

Agency or Tribal staff are generally responsible for obtaining documentation that supports a lease and reviewing the proposed lease terms, conditions, and provisions.

For more information about completing the application documents needed to obtain a wind or solar lease, please contact DRES or your BIA regional office.


  • Indian Affairs Approves First Ever Tribal Energy Develop…

    Press Release

    The Department of the Interior’s Office for the Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs announced today that it has…

Additional Information

Additional Resources

Contact Us

Division of Real Estate Services
1001 Indian School Road, NW, Box #44
Albuquerque, NM 87104