Talk to your tribal housing service office to understand any restriction or requirements before you sell the house or abandon the house. Homeownership is the criteria to obtain the housing program fund. If you decide not to own that house, there are some obligation and requirements you need to satisfy under the housing program before you proceed the ownership modification.

What happens if I just abandon my house?

There is not just one answer; i.e., is your 20 year Grant period up?, is the house on allotted land, or leased land? The Tribe and Tribal servicing housing office should have Policies in place that could address abandoned HIP homes so that they do not stand unused and fall into disrepair.

Contact Us

Division of Human Services
1849 C Street, N.W. MS-3645-MIB
Washington, DC 20240
Open 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday.