An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Estate Planning

Learn about estate planning options for trust and restricted land.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) can assist in your estate planning. You may wish to consider the following estate planning options for your trust land or restricted land:

  • You may write a will to direct who will receive your trust or restricted property.
  • You may also consider a sale, exchange, or gift conveyance of your trust or restricted property (must be approved by the BIA).  You may retain a life estate.   

Contact your local BIA agency for assistance and information regarding such conveyances.


What is a Life Estate?

A life estate means a person has the right to the use the land during his or her lifetime. The life estate holder will receive the income from that land. 

Upcoming Events

Additional Information

Contact Us

Division of Real Estate Services
1001 Indian School Road, NW, Box #44
Albuquerque, NM 87104
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. MDT, Monday-Friday

Was this page helpful?

This Page Was Not Helpful Because The Content:

An official website of the U.S. Department of the Interior

Looking for U.S. government information and services?