The Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) is initiating Tribal consultation to seek your input on the replacement of the Cove Day School (Cove Day), which is operated by BIE and located on the Navajo Reservation, 14.2 miles from Red Rock Day School (Red Rock). Both schools serve four small communities: Cove, Red Valley, Mitten Rock, and Oak Springs.
Cove Day is currently approved for a replacement of a new school facility (new school project). The BIE’s efforts to replace Cove Day’s facility at the current location required environmental remediation activities and as a result delayed the work on the new school project.
Immediate concerns at Cove Day include but are not limited to:
- Age of Cove Day; the school was built in 1959 – 63 years ago.
- Reports revealed safety concerns about Cove Day’s close proximity to a uranium mine, associated sources of gamma radiation, and natural background radiation levels in the area. Consequently, Cove Day was closed for the 2021-2022 school year.
- However, after radiological assessments and remediation activities were performed on the interior and exterior of the school, the USEPA and Navajo Nation Environmental Protection Agency approved the school to re-open for the 2022-2023 school year.
Consequently, BIE seeks your input on the following questions:
- Is the current location of Cove Day sufficient to proceed with the new school project?
- Should the new school be built at a different location and if so, what alternative sites are recommended?
- Should Cove Day be consolidated with Red Rock Day, why, or why not?
Questions regarding these Tribal consultations may be directed to Ms. Sharon Pinto, Deputy Bureau Director, BIE, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Session 1Tribal consultation session In-Person and Online
Session 2Tribal consultation session In-Person and Online
Please send written comments and recommendations on the Cove Day School replacement no later than Monday, December 5, 2022:
By email to: email@example.com
SUBJECT LINE: Tribal Consultation on Cove Day School Replacement
By Postal Mail to: Ms. Julie Lucero, Administrative Support, Bureau of Indian Education, 1011 Indian School Road NW, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87104
ATTENTION: Tribal Consultation on Cove Day School Replacement