Media Contact: Lovett 202/343-7445
For Immediate Release: February 6, 1980

A plan for the distribution and use of $6 million awarded to the Chiricahua Apache Tribes oy the United States Court of Claims is being published in the Federal Register, Commissioner of Indian Affairs Kallett said today.

According to the plan, approved By Congress and made effective December 20, 1979, 69 percent of the award will go to the Mescalero Apache Tribe of New Mexico and the remaining 31 percent to the Fort Sill Apache Indian Tribe of Oklahoma This distribution is based on a 1913 census.

The Fort Sill Tribe will distribute 80 percent of their share on a per capita basis to tribal members Of the remaining 20 percent, $150,000 will be used for tribal land acquisitions, $50,000 set aside for tribal attorney fees, $50,000 programmed for maintenance of tribal property and facilities, and the balance invested for future tribal needs.

The Mescaleros will distribute $1,000 to each tribal member. They will use $500,000 for the construction of a new community auditorium, put at least $666,000 in a tribal investment fund and allot $100,000 for various tribal needs, including the purchase of musical instruments and a fund to pay the salaries of a summer public works crew.