Federal agencies advertise vacancies online at USAJOBS. The USAJOBS website is an online database that enables job seekers to search for positions by location, job categories, etc. The website offers the option to upload an existing resume or use their resume builder tool to create a new resume. It is recommended that you use the resume builder. USAJOBS will allow you to store up to five distinct resumes online.
Due to the volume of applications received for any given vacancy announcement within the website, your resume will most likely be processed through an electronic filtering mechanism before being reviewed by a Human Resources Specialist for a qualification determination. Your resume will also be screened according to certain preferences (e.g., Indian Preference, veterans, disability, etc.) and rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training described on the vacancy announcement. It is essential that you tailor the experience listed on your federal resume to the specific position to which you are applying.
Once your application is rated, a quality review will be conducted by Office of Human Capital Management staff and/or a Subject Matter Expert (SME). Resumes are forwarded to the Hiring Manager for interview consideration. Once a hiring decision has been made, applicants will be notified.
Before you begin, it may be helpful to compile all the information you want to include in your resume. The writing process will be much easier and faster.
It is important to thoroughly review the vacancy announcement for the position you are applying. You should tailor your resume to ensure you include the experience and skills that are required for the position.
What Should be Included in a Federal Resume?
A federal resume calls for some information that is not generally required on a standard resume for private industry positions, and not including the required information may immediately disqualify you from consideration. It is extremely important that you carefully read application instructions and include all required information. Below is an example of a resume for Federal employment:
First and Last Name
Address City, State and Zip code
Email address Phone Numbers
Special Hiring Authority: (Indian Preference, Veteran’s Preference or Person with Disability - Schedule A)
Federal Experience: (Yes or No and Indicate Military, Federal or State Gov)
Security Clearance: (Indicate what level and if it's still active)
OBJECTIVE: To obtain a full-time position in public service with (Department of the Interior, Indian Affairs as a (Indicate the position including announcement Number if there is one)
SKILLS SUMMARY: (Has 3 elements: An introductory paragraph, list of skills directly related to the position, and your skills you have acquired throughout your career, that you want to highlight)
(1st Element: The introductory paragraph - Must be specific and highly detailed for each job series and position you're applying to. You need to outline all the specific skills you have that are directly related to the position you are seeking including Key Words identified in the positions description.)
Focused and highly motivated management professional, with 12 + years of extensive experience in Strategic Workforce Planning, EEO, OHR and Diversity Mgt. Utilizing my background in Disability, Accommodations, Business Operations, Project Management, and Statistical Analysis to develop comprehensive programs based on the employment needs and mission of the agency. Deploying metric-based solutions and maximizing our ROI. I'm an innovative and energetic team player, relationship builder, and highly effective communicator.
(2nd Element: List of skills directly related to the position and the Key Words you identified - Back up your skill summary with specific examples from you career or education. Identify specific accomplishments, length of time, highlight numerical results and awards derived from those duties and skills. This is the most critical area of the resume. You are relating an activity in your career to that of the position you are applying and showcasing your accomplishments.)
• Develop and create a Strategic Workforce Planning program to ensure were accurately utilizing all available resources. Good Example
• Expert in Equal Employment, Labor and Employee Relations assisting managers and staff in identifying and solving EEO Policy questions on Accommodations, for the past 9 yrs. Better Example
• As Diversity manager I trained a staff of 100+ internal and external personnel on diversity rules and regulations. My efforts resulted in a 70% reduction in violations and improved the overall atmosphere at ABC Co. Best Example
(3rd Element: Acquired skills - These are skills you want every employer to know you possess and feel they are what defines you as a model employee. Remember you MUST quantify and qualify every statement you make.)
• Analyze, develop, test and incorporated IT business solutions to enhance business process control and tracking. Good Example
• Supervised, motivated, mentored and lead by example, using experience backed judgment, strong work ethic, and irreproachable integrity, derived from my 12yrs as a Department Manager at ABC Co. Better Example
• Developed and implemented a supply inventory program, which tracked our use of production and office materials. This provided us detailed reports of our available inventory at all times. Allowing us to make more informed purchasing decisions. Resulting in ABC Co. to save 500,000 per year. Best Examp
Name of Employer Position & Title
GS level or Salary and Years of Service
From: Mo/Year to Mo/Year; (Indicate if the work was Full Time, Part Time, or Seasonal; provide number of hours for PT or Seasonal work)
Write a brief description of your experience/duties, and identify your major roles and responsibilities. Describe in detail each position you held for at least the last 10 years and quantify and qualify each statement).
IP: Describe each duty as if you are describing it to someone for the first time. Agencies are not allowed to assume you can or can't do anything.
Ex: Cashier: A cashier can perform numerous duties, if you only list cashier we can only interpret that as someone we collected and distributed money).
As Diversity Manager I analyze develop and manage programs and projects related to the successful deployment of our department's initiatives. My duties included ensuring we provided an inclusive work environment, free from discrimination and ensuring we met all federal and state regulations. This was accomplished by collecting, analyzing human capital data and statistics from various sources to get an accurate analysis of the programs and work environment we provided our employees.
• Performed labor market Statistical analysis and employment projections locally and nationally to determine our recruitment strategy to ensure we were recruiting from a diverse population. Good Example
• Coordinated with the Office of Human Capital and EEO managers to develop programs to improve our diversity in the workplace. Performed detailed analysis of the current workforce, and developed a strategy to ensure we targeted a broader workforce. This had an immediate impact on community relations and a 20% increase in local sales. Better Example
• Diversity manager for the past 7 yrs I was responsible for a staff of 20 employees. I coordinated with our Office of Human Capital to develop and measure recruiting timelines and efficiency, to determine cost per employee hired and accurate return on investment. Identified various key elements related to recruiting and performed a statistical analysis on reducing cost per hire. This lead to a yearly savings of 15% on recruiting expenses. Best Example
(Identify any areas of your career you feel an employer will get a better understanding of who you are and your additional activities, to included honors received by organizations, exceeding specific goals on projects, etc.)
• 2011 Supervised and managed the Specialty Hiring Programs, including NonCompetitive Direct Hiring Authorities, Military Spouse Employment and Individuals with Disabilities Programs, at the Department of Defense.
• 2008 Liaised with union and management on contract negotiations and labor dispute settlements with global manufacturer. Prevented the loss of 200+ jobs and saving the company 1.3 million dollars.
• 2006 The Minority Entrepreneur Network - Assisted 5 minority startup companies in researching, forecasting, and drafting their business plans and applications for small business loans.
• 2005 Restructured vendor contracts for a gross savings resulting in $375K per quarter.
(List all software and applications you are experienced in and level. Identify formal training and where you received that training)
(List any formal or informal training including accreditations and number of hours in the specific field)
• I have attended various seminars on EEO compliance and diversity Good Example
• Extensive EEO Compliance Training: Laws & Discrimination, Diversity in the Workplace, Workplace Relationships, EEO Complaints and Resolutions: (80+ hrs of training) Better Example
• Extensive Project Management Training specializing in large scale projects and developing the project plans and schedule. All training was done at the Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute (DEOMI) 2002 thru 2011 (120 hrs) Best Example
HONORS AND AWARDS
(Any formal awards you would like to share)
VOLUNTEER WORK & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
(Depending on the type of work volunteering can count the same as formal on the job experience if related to the position)
(2010 - current) I hold Diversity workshops at the ABC community center in Washington DC, 6 times each month. I provide employers with information on developing an inclusive and diverse workforce. Note: volunteer work must include the total # of hours
AAPD - American Association of Peoples with Disabilities
HAVA - Honored American Veterans Afield NRA -
National Rehabilitation Association PMI - Project
Wounded Warriors Project - Warriors to Work
(List at least 3 references including their contact information)