Standing Rock Agency
8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. CST
Telephone: (701) 854-3433
Telephone: (701) 854-8500
Trust Land Base: 841,700 acres
Estimated Tribal Enrollment: 15,568 members
Standing Rock Agency: Formerly known and established in 1868 as Grand River Agency on the banks of the Grand River (South Dakota) and relocated upstream in 1874 and renamed, Standing Rock Agency (Ft. Yates, North Dakota), is the Field Office for the Bureau of Indian Affairs providing Trust Services and Indian Services to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe. The Agency is located in Fort Yates, North Dakota (former U.S. Army Military Post), hub where most Federal, Tribal, Indian Health Services, State, and County offices are located. Standing Rock Agency Administrative offices are located two blocks south of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Administrative Center, tribal headquarters. The Standing Rock Sioux Indian Reservation straddles North and South Dakota and encompasses all of Sioux County in North and all of Corson County, and small parcels in Ziebach and Perkins Counties in South Dakota.
Standing Rock Sioux Reservation
The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe exercises its inherent Tribal sovereign rights and powers pursuant to the Treaty of April 29, 1868, (15 Stat. 635) and unwritten Tribal laws, customs and practices and Tribal Constitution and laws. Tribal Ordinances are codified and known as the Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Code of Justice.
The territory of the Reservation, as defined by the Act of March 2, 1889, (25 Stat. L. 888), notwithstanding the issuance of any patent, including all rights-of-way, waterways, watercourses and streams running through any part of the Reservation, and to other lands as may be hereafter added to the Reservation under any law of the United States. The Reservation is the permanent homeland for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.
- Tribal Governing-body, 17 members
- 15,568 Enrolled members
- 15,000 Estimated population base
- Land Base of 2.3 Million Acres
- 427,962.41 Tribal Acres
- 496,234.22 Allotted Acres
- 1,408,286.76 Fee Status
Standing Rock Agency
Formerly known and established in 1868 as Grand River Agency on the banks of the Grand River (South Dakota) and relocated upstream in 1874 and renamed, Standing Rock Agency (Ft. Yates, North Dakota), is the Field Office for the Bureau of Indian Affairs providing Trust Services and Indian Services through the following Offices:
- Branch of Real Estate Services
- Branch of Natural Resources (Agricultural Services)
- Branch of Probate and Estate Services
- Branch of Wildland Fire Management
- Branch of Administration for Administrative Services and Self-Determination Services
- Branch of Tribal Operations for Social Services General Assistance and Tribal Enrollment Services
- Branch of Facilities Management for O&M for all facilities and Structural Fire Protection
Office of Special Trustee
- OST manages 9,169 IIM Accounts, two Tribal Proceeds Accounts - income derived from Farm Pasture and Range Unit Leases, Home site, Business, and FSA payments related to CRP Program. Coordinates and manages Tribal Investments.