Rights-of-Way (25 CFR 169)
Proposed Rule and Explanatory Information
The proposed rule would update 25 CFR 169, Rights-of-Way on Indian Land, to streamline the process for obtaining Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) approval, ensure consistency with recently updated leasing regulations, increase the flexibility in compensation and valuations, and support landowner decisions regarding the use of their land.
The deadline for providing comments on the Proposed Rule has again been extended, this time from November 3, 2014 to November 28, 2014. Guidance on how to submit comments can be found in the Federal Register notice announcing the rule, below.
- To view the Federal Register notice that extends the comment period on Rights-of-Way on Indian Lands until Nov. 28th, please click here: Extension of Comment Period: ROW (Nov. 4, 2014)
- To view the Proposed Rule on Rights-of-Way on Indian Lands (25 CFR 169), please click here: Proposed Rule: ROW (June 2, 2014)
- The Proposed Rule was also published in the Federal Register on June 17, 2014: Federal Register publication of Proposed Rule on ROW
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (pdf)
- Presentation on the Proposed Rule (pdf)
Transcripts will be published to this website as soon as possible.
- Bismarck, North Dakota - 8/5/14, ND Transcript
- Scottsdale, Arizona - 8/6/14, AZ Transcript
- Teleconference - 8/7/14, Teleconference Transcript
- Teleconference - 9/17/14, Teleconference Transcript
- Atlanta, GA - 10/27/14, GA Transcript