Rights-of-Way (25 CFR 169)
Proposed Rule and Explanatory Information:
The proposed rule would update 25 CFR 169, Rights-of-Way on Indian Land, to streamline the process for obtaining Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) approval, ensure consistency with recently updated leasing regulations, increase the flexibility in compensation and valuations, and support landowner decisions regarding the use of their land.
As announced on August 13th, the deadline for providing comments on the Proposed Rule has been extended to October 2nd, 2014. Guidance on how to submit comments can be found in the Federal Register notice announcing the extension here.
A public hearing will be held via teleconference on September 17th, from 1:00pm - 4:00pm EST. Call-in information: 1-888-790-2010, passcode: 1863865
- To view the Proposed Rule on Rights-of-Way on Indian Lands (25 CFR 169), please click here: Proposed Rule: ROW (June 2, 2014)
- The Proposed Rule was also published in the Federal Register on June 17, 2014: Federal Register publication of Proposed Rule on ROW
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (pdf)
- Presentation on the Proposed Rule (pdf) - NEW!
Members of DOI Workgroup Who Developed Proposed Right-of-Way Rule
- Liz Appel, Office of Regulatory Affairs & Collaborative Action (facilitator)
- Matthew Kirkland, (former) Chief, Real Estate Services, Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Kayla Danks, Superintendent, Fort Berthold Agency, Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Brenda Schliff, Realty Specialist, Rocky Mountain Region, Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Jay Daniels, (former), Realty Specialist, Midwest Region, Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Sharlene Roundface, Realty Officer, Southern Plains Region, Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Kevin Bearquiver, Deputy Regional Director - Trust Services, Pacific Region, Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Jennifer Turner, Office of the Solicitor
- Stephen Simpson, Office of the Solicitor
Transcripts will be published to this website as soon as possible.
- Teleconference - 8/7/14 , Teleconference Transcripts